Impeach Bush

Dedicated to exposing the lies and impeachable offenses of George W. Bush.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Afghans Want the Taliban Back

April 8, 2007
Afghans Want the Taliban Back

"When the Taliban were here, I escaped to the border with Iran, but I was never worried about my family," he said. "Every single minute of the last three years I have been very worried. Maybe tonight the Americans will come to my house, molest my wife and children and arrest me."

Last week, President Hamid Karzai acknowledged for the first time that he had held talks with the Taliban in an attempt to reach a peace deal and avert a bloody struggle for control in the south and east of the country, where the movement has enjoyed a resurgence in the past year.

The failure of Nato forces to deliver security and development and rising civilian casualties inflicted by Western forces in clashes with the Taliban have led to a loss of support in Kandahar. "How can we forgive the Americans?" asked Mr Karigar, who like most people here does not distinguish among the different elements in Nato. "I will fight them any way I can."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home